Couch Buying Trick

Evan and I have been doing a lot of couch shopping. Anyone who’s been to our place knows how incredibly comfy our current couches are. And anyone who’s been to our place has also heard me comment about how manly they are. They are THE ultimate man couches. As much as I tried to soften them up with pillows and fluffy blankets, there was no hiding the manliness.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

As comfy as they are, they’re a little beat up and somehow feel bulkier here in the house than they did in the apartment. Maybe it’s because they’re floating now instead of being against walls. Maybe it’s because I’ve been staring at them for too long. But either way, we decided to buy a new couch!

The issue Evan and I have with couch shopping is that he’s big and I’m little. Couches that suit me don’t fit him, and couches he likes swallow me up. Also, he was more willing to sacrifice looks for comfort, and I was more willing to sacrifice comfort for looks. Like buying those heels that are super cute but destroy your ankles. But the good news is we both knew we wanted a modern grey sectional. And finally, while browsing Crate & Barrel, we found it.

lounge-2-piece-sectional-sofa

Isn’t he a good looking couch?? It’s the Lounge 2-piece sectional in “Cement.” The thing we liked most is that we could both sit on the chaise with elbow room to spare! To get an idea of the scale, here’s a picture I snapped when we first tried it out in the store.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

Evan was instantly sold. I was a little nervous though. It was so big! The cushions are 46″ deep!! It’s a beast of a couch. A wonderful, comfy, giant, modern beast. Visually, it looked like the overall footprint when paired with an ottoman (which we plan to do) was too square for our rectangular rug.

Since I was worried about how it would fit, when we got home we devised this little trick to help visualize a couch (or really any type of furniture!) in your home.

We got the measurements of the sectional and ottoman, moved our current couches our of the way, and grabbed our masking tape and measuring tape.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

First, use the measuring tape to mark corners of your couch with a piece of masking tape, using measurements listed on the item specs (you can usually find these online). We lined up the back of the couch with the back of the rug and centered it. Our rug is 12 feet (144″) wide and the sectional is 124″ wide, so we had 10″ of rug space on either side.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

Cat’s are really good at helping with this part.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

Once all your corners are marked, connect the dots with masking tape.

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

Couch Buying Trick- evanandkatelyn.com

If you have matching outfits and temporary tattoos that step works even better.

Then marvel at your imaginary couch! To my surprise, the measurements fit PERFECTLY on our rug and we still had room for our coffee table. I was sold!

Couch buying trick evanandkatelyn.com

So there’s our little trick! Even if you think you can picture a piece of furniture in your house, it wouldn’t hurt to spend a couple minutes with some masking tape to double check how it will actually fit. Anyone else have any tips or tricks for furniture buying? We are still kinda winging it so if you’ve got any tricks up your sleeve, spill!

………………………………………………………………
You can also find us at:YouTube (all our DIY videos)
Instagram (sneak peeks @evanandkatelyn)
Patreon (if you wanna support us, but no pressure!)
Pinterest (stuff that inspires us)
Twitter (us, in 140 character doses)
Facebook (be our friend)
Instructables (straight up tutorials)
………………………………………………………………

, , ,

32 Responses to Couch Buying Trick

1. Maria April 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

That’s such a good idea with the tape! We will definitely keep that in mind when we move.

Also. Where is your current couch from?!?! It looks EXACTLY LIKE OURS I am not even kidding. But we bought ours from a Cincinnati-based store. In Cincinnati. So.

2. Katelyn Shibley April 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Ours is from a Star Furniture in Houston! Evan got it a couple years ago when he graduated from the “as is” section so it’s got a couple scars from being a floor model. The scars add to the manliness :P

3. joanie August 20, 2013 at 8:16 am #

i was wondering how your couch is holding up? i was looking to buy this sectional but havent heard good reviews in it piling. wondering how yours is holding up?

• veronica May 22, 2014 at 6:00 am #

Any updates on the couch?comfort?wear and tear?shape and form?

• Katelyn Shibley May 22, 2014 at 8:38 am #

It’s held up really well! We’ve had for, gosh, about a year now I guess, and we are in love with it. It’s still sooooo super comfy (seriously like every time we get on it we say “we love our couch bed!”). And it’s maintained it’s shape really well, despite the fact that we sit in the same spot pretty much every time. I do notice that on the spot we always sit in, the fabric might be a hair looser? But it might just be my imagination.

Also, our kitty pulls her claws on it and sheds, but because of the nubby fabric it hides claw pulls really well and the gray color we chose doesn’t show cat hair too bad. It is our most expensive piece of furniture by far but sooooooo worth it. We sit on other people’s couches now and secretly judge how inferior they are to our couch :P

4. Katelyn Shibley August 20, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Ours has held up really well! Granted we’ve only had it for a few months, but we really like it :)

5. Gabriela Aguirrezabal September 26, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Hi Katelyn,

Nice trick on the masking tape, but then you still don’t know the volume of it…
    My trick is Decolabs (www.decolabs.com).
    I would love to hear your feedback if you try it.

BTW love your cat,
    Gabriela

6. egressett1867 January 17, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

I apologize in advance for pinning a ton of your articles! So many great tips for first time home owners!

• Katelyn Shibley January 18, 2014 at 11:39 am #

Please pin away!!! I’m glad that our experiences can help out other first time home owners too! :D

7. Brealyn Nenes August 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

I know this is an old post, but I’m so glad you guys are back. My fiance and I just purchased this couch from Crate and Barrel a few days ago and we cannot wait for it to get here!

I really wanted it in suede in the gray color, but it would have took 3 months! So we went with that new linen texture? Anyways, love you guys and your blog!

• Katelyn Shibley August 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Aww thanks! Glad to be back, trying to post whenever we can (though sometimes real life gets so dang busy!) Omg I’m excited for you. This couch = amazing. Seriously. I never thought I’d ever be so excited about a piece of furniture, and the love still hasn’t faded to this day haha. 3 months is a long time to wait! I think ours is the linen texture (the more nubby one is what we have) and we really like it!

8. Mike H. January 31, 2015 at 10:08 am #

My wife and I are very interested in getting this couch. Me being very technical person that I am, I wanted to make sure that the couch doesn’t sag in the middle after continued use. I hate it when couches sag and you’re kind of forced to fall into the middle of the couch. In this case it would be the middle of the 2 seat section. Thanks for your help.

• Katelyn Sheline February 1, 2015 at 7:53 pm #

So far I haven’t noticed any sagging and we sit on the 2 seat section 100% of the time haha

9. Lauren October 15, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

love this rug! Where is it from?

• Katelyn Sheline October 15, 2015 at 9:36 pm #

Thanks! It’s from Garden Ridge

10. Megan February 2, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

HI! Do you happen to have this in cement? If so, how does it look? It is what I’m leaning towards and they don’t carry this stock on anything in the store where we live so I’m going off of a 5×5 sample :)

• Katelyn Sheline February 5, 2016 at 7:57 pm #

Hi Megan! Yes we have it in cement. It’s a nice medium, neutral gray (not too warm, not too cool). We really like it!

11. Rachel June 3, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Katelyn I know this thread is old but hopefully you don’t mind! I have been looking at the lounge sectional for weeks now. I’m in love with it!! We finally saw it in person yesterday at the store and I had a few concerns. The fabric seems like it would pill? How is yours holding up? My boyfriend is tall and sits with his arms across the back but being its so low we are worried about them maintaining their shape? Lastly, have you lost feathers? A few reviews said that is their least favorite thing about the couch and actually when I sat on it yesterday a feather came out. Thank you so much!

• Katelyn Sheline June 4, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Hey Rachel! Your concerns are definitely valid, because we have dealt with a couple of these issues. There is some pilling in the area we sit at most, though I actually never noticed it until recently I was sitting on the rug next to the couch and saw it from a different angle. We bought a fabric shaver and that seems to help, but really the pilling isn’t huuuugely noticeable anyway, at least in the lighting in our house. Also, we lose a feather every now and then, but in our experience it’s been so insignificant that we didn’t even think of it til you mentioned it in this comment. Evan doesn’t sit with his arms across the back but our kitty DOES sit on the back right behind our heads, and that cushion gets a little more squished occasionally. But because they are filled with feathers we just pat it a few times and it pops back into shape. Overall, we still would highly recommend this couch- especially when tall significant other are involved! The super deep and wide cushions are sooooooo comfy and the overall piece still looks clean and modern- so for us the benefits outweigh the little issues. Hope this helps!

• Monica Eisenberg August 29, 2016 at 11:25 pm #

Found your blog when searching for reviews of the Lounge sofa. I’m seriously considering getting it but after three expensive sofa disasters in eight years I have to be extra cautious before jumping in. I was told by Crate & Barrel that the pilling issue mentioned by some reviewers has been resolved but I see that your fabric is the same they have now in the stock version so who knows how exactly this has been resolved. On the other hand, you say that yours does not have significant pilling so that’s good news. I’m thinking of getting it in the “petite” version which is still 93″ long but just a bit less deep. Thanks for all the info to you and your readers.

• Katelyn Sheline August 30, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

The pilling might have been resolved after we bought it (it’s been a few years). We love the extra deep version since my husband is so tall, but I’m sure any version would be comfy (it’s sooooo comfy). If you have a store around you should test it out! :)

12. shandy garrway August 23, 2016 at 9:38 am #

Thank you for the updates! I too am considering purchasing this sofa for our bonus room. Its so comfy but I had fears of it losing its shape quickly.

• Katelyn Sheline August 30, 2016 at 5:39 pm #

So far no issues with it losing it’s shape! We have to fluff the back cushions every now and then since that’s where our kitty sleeps, but they fluff right back into place.

13. Jason September 6, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

So, the chaise isn’t long enough without an ottoman to extend it?

• Katelyn Sheline September 7, 2016 at 7:40 pm #

It’s actually been plenty long for us, and Evan is 6’5″! Yes he feet do hang off the end but it’s never actually been something that ever bothered us or that we ever really noticed haha

14. Lisa Stevenson April 11, 2017 at 8:34 pm #

Hi there!

I was wondering if you could post a photo of the sofa now? I am looking at Crate and Barrel’s Axis II sofa in Cement and curious what it looks like in daylight. I have a dog and also wondering if it spot cleans well? Any stains or accidents that were easy to clean with this fabric?

Thanks so much!

• Katelyn Sheline April 12, 2017 at 12:50 pm #

We have a recent photo of part of it (the whole couch was too big) on our insta @evanandkatelyn! It’s a couple rows down and you can see some of the kitty claw induced damage. It’s also nice daylight lighting. Hope this helps!

15. kelley elton July 29, 2017 at 9:36 am #

do you have a link to the rug? i cant find garden ridge

• Evan Sheline July 29, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

Sorry, I think they might have closed down. They did in our city at least

16. Anna August 26, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

Hi! Would you mind commenting on how the cement color is with spot cleaning stains? I thought I was sold on the darker gray until I saw your gorgeous cement color!

• Katelyn August 31, 2017 at 10:22 am #

it spot cleans fine! it’s been pretty forgiving, our only complaint is the fabric pills a bit but it’s been easy to clean :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Our Couch and Our Floor Ran Away Together - Evan & Katelyn - June 26, 2013

[…] far as the couch goes, ever since we picked out our new Crate & Barrel couch, we’ve been planning on selling these brown ones. (Sorry, older pic again- see Mochi’s […]