This is part 1 of the prep work we did to get everything ready to blow GreenFiber cellulose insulation in our attic. At the bottom of this post we have a link to every post in this series if you want to check out the whole shebang :)
The goal of day 1 was to get all the previous owner’s junk out of the attic so we have space to maneuver, and so it doesn’t block our blown insulation from reaching everywhere it needs to get.
Apparently when the previous owner moved (or previous previous owner, who knows), she didn’t feel the need to clean out all the crap up in the attic. To the right of the entry hatch was the area where most the junk was collected, although we found more scattered about the place (rat traps that looked like they were from the 70’s, boards with nails sticking up out of them, old light fixtures that had been replaced, etc).
Dragging out all those nasty dusty boxes and breaking them down in the garage took way longer than expected (and we still aren’t done, a bunch of them are still piled in our garage). Plus we had this baby to deal with.
Yep. That’s a giant antenna. Not sure how that thing was shoved up here in the first place due to its size, because we certainly couldn’t get it down in one piece. Luckily, with some tools and man power, Evan was able to break it down spindle by spindle and carry it out in pieces.
He just bent and snapped em off (not to be confused with the bend and snap)
Then it was time to break the big arm off it.
When Evan reverted back to normal after man-beast mode, we carried down the bundle and we were done with our first and easiest day of prep work!
Psst – To see the whole process from start to finish, check out our other posts! You can see our overall plan for blowing insulation, and check out all the prep in Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, and the actual blowing of insulation. Big project!
Note: This post contains affiliated links. Thank you for supporting our blog!