Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail

Avatar Katelyn | June 20, 2013 67 Views 0 Likes 0 Ratings

This is part 4 of the prep work we did to get everything ready to blow GreenFiber cellulose insulation in our attic. At the bottom of this post we have a link to every post in this series if you want to check out the whole shebang :)

In the last post, you may have noticed a picture that looks like this.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

One of those items is the guest bathroom exhaust vent. Notice anything off?

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Yeah. That vent didn’t lead anywhere except right back into our attic.

And that’s a bad thing, because when that vent was run during a shower (like the whole two months while our master shower was out of order) we were just puffing steam straight into our attic instead of out through the roof, meaning we were giving moisture a chance to collect and mold to grow. Gross!!

Upon further inspection, we found that even before the vent duct was chilling on the attic floor, it still had never actually reached the vent in our roof. Instead, it had been jerry-rigged by duct taping it to a beam so that it was just pointed to the roof vent (that greenish thing) a few feet away. I mean, I’m all for duct tape, but really? Really??? What a fail.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

On top of that, where the vent duct connected to the exhaust fan on the other end, it wasn’t properly sealed so even if it HAD been properly vented through the roof, it still would have been leaking air through a 1-2 inch gap where it was supposed to be sealed. Double fail.

So we had to put other attic plans on hold to fix this issue too (since it would have been a lot harder to do after blowing insulation). We went to Home Depot and picked up the necessary supplies (aka we walked down the ducting aisle and said “I guess this could work…”). We had replaced the falling-apart dryer vent in our laundry room so this didn’t seem too different, except we needed something to attach it to the roof vent.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

We came back home and removed the old duct so we could replace it with one that was long enough to reach the roof vent.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Of course, it was sufficiently nasty inside. I think Evan was trying to match the duct’s expression.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Can ducts have expressions? I think the picture below is evidence that yes, yes they can.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Evan shimmied on the new duct. It was a tight fit, but we still clamped it just to be extra secure.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Then on the other end he attached this fitting (so that we could make it stay up in the roof attachment).

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Then he popped the fitting into the roof attachment.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Next came the hard part. Getting the roof attachment actually onto the roof. When we bought it, we assumed we’d be able to staple through the metal with our staple gun and some heavy duty staples. Ha. That didn’t work.

So instead we tried to use the nails poking through the roof to our advantage. Evan hammered the metal plate of the roof attachment until the nails poked through it. (PS- on the left side of the picture below you can see the old duct tape that used to hold up the end of the old vent duct. Way too far away from the roof vent!). Unfortunately I wasn’t much help with this part, it was too high for me to reach.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

That held it up long enough for us to go grab further supplies. Aka Gorilla Tape. Yeah yeah I know I was complaining about the duct tape earlier, but our tape was just a temporary solution to hold the roof attachment in place while Evan implemented the real solution.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

The plan was to use screws to attach the metal to the roof. First Evan had to make pilot holes with a thin nail, then he screwed in a short screw (that wouldn’t go through too far and mess up our shingles)

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

That made it nice and secure! We just left the tape since that stuff is not easy to pull off. And we like how it looks ghetto-fabulous. Next Evan used a couple zip ties to secure the duct to the beams so that it was nice and out of the way.

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

Lastly, we used foil tape (the kind you use on flexible AC ducts) to seal the gap where the original fitting still would have leaked air. Ta-da!

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com

This project ended up adding an entire evening of work onto our attic prep plans, but it’s a good thing we fixed it! Would not want moisture being blown into our newly fixed-up attic!

Psst – To see the whole process from start to finish, check out our other posts! You can see our overall plan for blowing insulation, and check out all the prep in Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8Part 9, and the actual blowing of insulation. Big project!

Note: This post contains affiliated links. Thank you for supporting our blog!

Attic Prep Part 4- Exhaust Vent Fail- evanandkatelyn.com


Comments

This post currently has 6 responses.

Leave a Reply