We’ve got a wedding to plan with lots of DIY elements, so as promised I’m trying to write about one of our wedding DIY projects at least every couple weeks or so. We are still working on the L.O.V.E. marquee letters (that “E” is being difficult!) but in the meantime I’ve been brainstorming what kind of centerpieces I want to do.
And I feel like I’m going in circles. It’s hard to come up with something that I can make myself and duplicate 15 or so times without breaking the bank. Because honestly, who remembers centerpieces at anyone’s wedding except their own right? It’s not something I want to spend big bucks on.
I’ve been collecting wine bottles from friends and family so that I can use those somehow (yes, there will be some wine bottle DIY crafts in the future), but today I’m going to focus on votives that could possible be scattered around said wine bottles.
Evan and I each decided to tackle a votive idea. I loved these:
And Evan was inspired by these:
But we’ll cover Evan’s craft of choice next time since this post might get a little lengthy if I try to squeeze in both.
So to tackle my water color inspired votives, I gathered my materials: some acrylic paint (you could use cheap stuff, I just used some we already had), a brush or two, some water, a palette to mix on (but you could use a paper plate), and my votive (we got a 4-pack at Ikea for $2).
I picked a handful of colors (if you mix too many it will just turn brownish gray) and squirted out just a dot of paint from each onto the palette. Then I drizzled water over them til they became very liquidy and started to merge together.
Unfortunately I got so excited about the next part that I forgot to take a picture, but don’t worry I took pictures when I did it to my second votive. For this part, you just dab your brush into the paint and then dab it around the top of the inside of the votive and let the paint run down. If it’s not running, add more water, and if color isn’t sticking to the glass, add more paint. I just kinda swirled it around in there until I had this:
It was ok. I wasn’t sure about it though, so while my paint was out I decided to try another method I was curious about:
I probably should have spent more time on this one but it was sort of an afterthought. And I think this method would work better on a larger glass where there is room for more dots. Mine turned out ok but it was nothing to get excited about.
The good news about acrylic paint is that it was still a little wet so I was able to wash it right out and start anew. I decided to try another water color votive with different colors. Here you can see how I did the paint drips. I would load up my brush with watery paint and press it against the inside of the votive so that the extra paint would squeeze out and run down the glass.
Here’s how both my votives looked side by side when I was through.
And here they are withe some candles in ’em.
I think they turned out pretty cool. And they were super easy to do. But I also think having a bunch of these on every table might start looking a little busy, so I’m not 100% sold they’ll end up at the wedding. Regardless, for $1 it was totally worth the fun of experimenting with these and they’ll be a nice little pop of color in our home.