Feels weeeeeeirrrrrd jumping back into house projects after being in wedding mode for so long (and neglecting the house. Sorry house) but we have been trying to do at least one house project each weekend, even if it’s a little one. Before we get into those updates, we have to catch y’all up on some projects we tackled over the last few months, starting with our dining room light!
You may remember me complaining about this light. I was not a fan. First off, it’s a lame boob light. Boring. Totally does not take advantage of of the fact that it’s over a dining table and can therefore be a really cool statement piece. But also, do you see how off-center that is??? How was that a good idea?
We’ve been eyeballing the West Elm hanging capiz chandelier since before we even had the house. The price always held us back, but then my mom got it for us as an early Christmas present and we couldn’t wait to get it installed before my family flew in for the holidays at our house!
First thing we did was turn off the power and start removing the hardware and shade of our ol’ boob light. Left behind a lovely ring of old ceiling paint.
While Evan was on light removal duty, I trekked back up into the attic to try and locate the fixture from above. Was a little tricky because of our insulation, so I had to go back downstairs and measure the distance from the nearest vents to the dining room light so that I could use the measuring tape in the attic to find it. But finally, success!
We then marked the center of the dining room so we knew where to cut the hole for the new light. Evan drilled a hole to use as a starting point for the circle we needed to cut out.
We traced a circle of the correct size onto the ceiling and Evan used a little saw to cut it out. It’s a dusty job but somebody’s gotta do it! Unfortunately, as Evan started sawing we hit a beam in the ceiling. Whoops. So we had to adjust our circle and move it over a couple of inches. So I guess technically it’s still not centered… but hey, it’s MUCH better!
Evan went up into the attic to install the new fixture and we couldn’t help it, had to take this pic!
Then I went up and joined so I could snap pictures of the process (and be the “tool girl”). I carry tools in my boots because the pockets in girl jeans are a joke.
There wasn’t much space to work in, but Evan got everything in place. We attached it with an L bracket along a ceiling beam.
Success! Now to attach a billion little capiz shells
It was tedious but it looks awesome! Except for that old hole in the ceiling…
So we got one of those 6-inch metal mesh patches and covered it with spackle. By this time my family was in town and Dad managed to make the spackle mimic the ceiling texture. Then we used leftover ceiling paint from our laundry room paint job to finish the job.
We somehow never took another picture after patching the hole, so I took one today! Which actually shows me how much our dining room has changed since Christmas.
Kinda interesting how subtle changes make a big difference! I’ll save you some scrolling and post the dining room progression pics all right here.
It definitely feels a lot more “us” now! And it was a pretty easy update!
(PS- some of the new decor is actually left over from our wedding DIY projects! We’ll post about those soon!)