Evan hit the ground running on that painting and had it done in about an hour. Which in my mind is pretty amazing. Not to brag on my hubby, but he’s got mad confidence with a paint brush.
Me, not so much. I work more in the digital art side of things, meaning if I can’t ctrl-Z away a mistake, I get a little nervous/sweaty. So thinking about painting a giant 55” x 39” canvas had me doubting my skills. But determined to turn this old print into something we really loved, I grabbed some tape, some paint, and a big brush and I got to work on that canvas. Very. Slowly.
I started by taping off the edges to protect the frame, then I roughly painted a coat of white over the old print. I didn’t worry about getting the white perfect- it just needed to be a light base for the other colors to go over, like a primer.
What followed is a clear evidence of me not knowing what the heck I was doing. I’m a planner y’all, and when I don’t plan, bad stuff happens. I really struggled at the beginning, but then I realized the ctrl-Z of acrylic paint is just add more paint. So that’s what I did. In 15-20 minute increments over the course of a few weeks, my painting evolved:
I just squeezed paint directly onto the canvas and mixed it with any other colors that were still wet. First I tried a combination of long and short brush strokes, then I settled on short and it started looking a lot more like an actual painting. Finally I looked at it and said hey! I think I’m done!
Just to be sure we hung it up on the wall before taking the tape off the edges. After a couple days of still liking it, the tape came off and we called this baby officially complete! (sorry the gif is so dark- did it at night, was too excited to wait for good lighting!)
And this concludes our big ass Ikea print double feature! After the success of these two, we are seriously considering buying more prints just to paint over them next time we want a really big canvas! It really does feel good to turn something you’re “meh” about into something you’re “wow!” about.